Modes of Administration
EQ-5D is primarily designed for self-completion by respondents, for example on paper or as a digital version. However, several other modes of administration are also available, such as telephone or face-to-face interviews, and completion by observers (proxy versions). The currently available modes of administration are:
· Self-complete version on paper
· Self-complete version on PDAs/ Smartphones
· Self-complete version on Tablets
· Self-complete version on Laptops/Desktop Computers
· Self-complete version for use in REDCap. REDCap is a web application for building and managing online surveys and databases that is mainly used in academic research.
· Face-to-face interview version. Mainly used when subjects are not able to read or write, or when visiting a hospital or study site.
· Telephone interview version. For use when subjects are unable to visit a hospital or study site.
· Proxy version. For use in special cases where patients are mentally or physically not capable to report on their health-related quality of life, for instance because of severe intellectual disability or mental health problems. Two proxy versions are currently available, where a caregiver who knows the patient well is asked to complete EQ-5D as follows:
o Proxy version 1. The caregiver (the proxy) is asked to rate the patient’s health-related quality of life in their (the proxy’s) opinion.
o Proxy version 2. The caregiver (the proxy) is asked to rate how he/she (the proxy) thinks the patient would rate his/her own health-related quality of life if the patient were able to communicate it.
· IVR system version. For use in Interactive Voice Response (IVR) systems.
If you are unsure about which mode of administration to use, please contact the EuroQol Office. Please note that not all modes of administration are available in all languages. Please see here for the available EQ-5D-3L versions, here for the available EQ-5D-5L versions, and here for the available Youth versions. If a translation or mode of administration is not available, please contact the EuroQol Office.
Last updated: October 2016